Review #9: Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond




This bourbon was my first attempt to find a respectable, workhorse, value whiskey, and boy did I hit the nail on the head. I made this the bottle of my first road trip post-lockdown and could not have been happier with that choice.

Bonded American whiskey in general may or may not be a well-kept secret (looking at you Mellow Corn), and other things close to 100 proof (like Wild Turkey 101) get a lot of love For the value. So far Evan Williams is the only brand I've tried from Heaven Hill, but I'd say they've earned a fan based on this expression alone. For a couple bucks extra it's a lot nicer than Evan Williams Black Label. Can't wait to get my hands on an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof...

Name: Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond

Distiller / Brand Owner: Heaven Hill

Served: Neat in a glencairn, rested 15 minutes

Strength: 100 proof / 50% ABV

Color: 0.8 Deep Gold

Handshake (a few drops drying on the hands): Light wood varnish

Nose: Dusty corn, Cavendish banana. A bit of breadiness and vanilla icing (iced buns) with just a whiff of lemon zest. Overall fairly closed off even with lots of time in the bottle.

Palate: Moderate heat, but not bad for 100 proof; medium mouthfeel. A splash of brown sugar with a hint of banana, then straight into dry peanut shell, which opens into peanut brittle (peanuts and toffee). Something feinty creeps in like stale pizza cheese in the next room -- it's sometimes subtle, sometimes not, and I wonder if my nose is deceiving me, but I get this note about half the time I taste this no matter where I am.

Finish: Medium length. Peanut shells come back, then brown sugar makes a brief appearance. Drying at the end.

Afternose: Cavendish banana, iced buns.

Overall: I generally like this. It's pretty middle of the road and an excellent value, but note that I exclude value from my main rating. It's exceptionally priced for what you get: an excellent workhorse whiskey with a generally bourbony flavor profile and a few standout flavor notes, but nothing too complex. It's excellent for an inoffensive sipper or a basic cocktail, especially if you want it a bit on the boozy side. The shy, dusty nose means you have to be patient with it as a sipper.

Rating: 74/100 - Slightly Subpar, has a flaw or slightly deficient in some way

Price: $14.99 + tax in WA.

Value: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5 - absolutely - value leader at this price

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tasting Rating Scales Explained

Review #11: Kirkland Canadian Whisky

Review #2: Nikka Taketsuru Pure Malt